Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Off to Shea

An annual pilgrimage ever since I relocated to the far side of the Atlantic. I love getting to Shea every year, but I can't believe this will be my last trip. I wonder if I'll be less interested in the result than in just absorbing as much as I can of my Flushing home. I'll try to keep my sentimentality to a minimum here.

What of the team on the field? Uggh. After all that July excitement it takes a week for them to return to third, 3 games back. I hope they start getting it back on track tonight. It's pretty clear that the Mets are still too light in the bullpen and that the line-up is no where near what it might have been (with Alou & Church).

I'm also disappointed in Santana, who needs to start going more than 7 regularly for me to believe he's not just way over-hyped. I'm almost wondering if he's better than Aaron Cook, who makes pitching deep in games a habit.

It's time for Beltran to take a leaf out of Delgado's book and figure out what the heck is wrong. Time for him step it up. Maybe hitting 2nd is the key.