Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Here come the Phils

I should be looking forward to these three games, right? I sort of am. I guess I'm still waiting to be convinced that the run before the All Star Game is real and wasn't just a function of playing San Francisco & Colorado.

Tonight's the real test. Whatever about the Mets beating Philadelphia, this is a real test for Johan Santana. He's supposed to be the ace so how 'bout pitching like one. He's been mostly good, but he's been nowhere near what I think Met fans hoped he'd be. I was skeptical before the trade because I was unimpressed with him last year when he took himself out of a game after 8 innings despite the face he had a shutout going and had 17 K's. What big time starter doesn't want to finish that one? To try for the record 20 K's?

The Phillies haven't been hitting lately. They had a tough weekend in Miami. The Mets had a mixed weekend in Cincy. I'd have been happier if they'd won a game without so much sweat and lost one after making it tough on the Reds, but didn't happen.

We all want 2 of 3, but more than that I want to see the Ace pitch like an Ace or I'll begin to believe the Mets will be a long time recovering from the Santana contract.