Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Admit it. I will. After the top of the 4th I was already grumbling about how (a) 'of course the Mets are the only team that can't hit Zito and/or (b) of course Zito finally gets it together against the Mets. I couldn't decide which it was, but I knew it was written in the stars that the Mets weren't going to score enough to get Pedro the win.

Well, we were wrong. 8 runs in the 5th, including an RBI single from Pedro Martinez. Everyone hit that inning, which is how teams score runs in bunches. This is what we hope for (expect) from the Mets, but it's been pretty rare this season until recently. Suddenly big innings feel 'normal'.

But really it was all about Pedro and his 6 innings on the mound. It's too soon for me to be convinced, but I'd given up on Pedro this year. If he really is back that will be a great boost. Still, the Giants are not a strong offensive unit so let's not get ahead of ourselves. His next start is Monday in San Diego, another offensively challenged team.

Oh, and a big 'thank you' to Scott Schoenweiss for making it 'interesting' in the 9th. Jeez. Still, if he's going to have a bad outing, that was a good game to have it in.

*****
Eddie Coleman came out of the bullpen to relieve Wayne in the 6th. Wayne had a sore throat.

During the 9th Howie & Eddie were talking about the flight out and how awful everyone, including them, felt yesterday. Then Eddie mentioned that he'd asked Pedro what he & Oliver Perez had talked about on their earlier flight to the coast. Pedro said they didn't talk about much at all. Perez was playing with Nintendo most of the way. God forbid he might talk to Pedro and learn something, right? As Howie remarked, "Why am I reminded of Slap Shot? 'They brought their toys'".

I love listening to baseball. There are times when I think I prefer listening to watching (less frustrating). However, there are times when I really wish I could see what's going on and last night when Pedro got his 2nd hit of the night and his first RBI of the year I'd have loved to have seen Pedro's face when he was standing on first.

Howie read out a text from Tom McCarthy, who was obviously listening to the game. McCarthy texted Howie to give him the background on Dan Giese of the Yankees, who Howie had never heard of. McCarthy added that he had interviewed the Dollar Dog tonight and added, "Who says my life isn't working out"? I got like McCarthy and wish he was still there, particularly during those 10-2 games.