Monday, June 2, 2008

I think I caught Church's dizziness

Ryan Church back in the line-up last night. First time since he hurt his head in the collision at 2nd in Atlanta. He had been feeling dizzy, but was well enough to play last night. As both Wayne & Howie pointed out, the flight to SF will be telling. If he can endure that without any setback then we can say unequivocally that Church is fully recovered. Now all this good play by the Mets have me feeling a little unsteady.

Santana was shaky in the first and lights out after that. That's how I like my aces. It's my clearest memory of Seaver that he was most hittable in the fist. I always knew that if he got through the first unscathed that a Met win was pretty likely.

Two long balls from Beltran in two days. He can get hot. I hope he really gets it going now.

I would love it if just once the Mets would beat up Hong-Chih Kuo. I still haven't purged that image of him tossing his bat after that HR last season from my mind. Yet, he's been untouched by Met bats since. Errr.

*****

Eddie Coleman interviewed David Wright during the post-game. Coleman asked Wright about the clean-up hitter and Wright proceeded to wax lyrical (as he can) about playing behind Johan Santana. Funny. Coleman let it go, but he had to be laughing when the mic was off.

Wayne was talking about his first visit to Shea as a college student. He told Howie that when he was at Shea he saw something he'd never seen before: fans keeping score.

Wayne explained that beach balls and not scorecards sell on the west coast. Howie was shocked. He couldn't believe it that west coast baseball fans don't keep score, but Wayne said it is so. In fact, he set it as a mission for this upcoming trip to the coast for Howie to spot fans keeping score. Anyway, it was something Wayne said he started doing when he returned home to the west coast after seeing fans score games at Shea.

Again, Hagin's "outsider's perspective" is welcome and acts as an antiote to his "adios" and "You can kiss it good-bye" home-run calls.