Sunday, June 22, 2008

It's not that they lost last night's game, but one play in particular that's annoying me today. Until last night's game I'd been feeling good about the direction of the team. It was the 4th when Jiminez had walked Castillo and Wright to start the inning and the Mets were leading 1-0. Beltran stepped to the plate and just like Howie I had visions of a big hit that would provide the Mets with a cushion. And, what happens? Beltran bunts the first pitch foul.

He bunted. What was he thinking? This is the same kind of stupidity that I was hoping that they'd left behind them last week (not that Willie ever wanted Beltran to bunt). That dumb play helped Jiminez settle and he got Beltran to ground into a force play and Delgado followed that up with a ground ball double play.

*****
By the way, great exchange between Howie & Wayne on Howie's Manhattan driving during Friday night's game. Again, there are times when I really enjoy Wayne.