Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Back from my short break

I nearly didn't come back here. I went away over the weekend, which is what broke my momentum with the blog. I didn't miss any of the games in San Diego, in case you're thinking I was on retreat. I heard them all. Every excruciating inning.

I did write not that long ago that this team simply wasn't that good. Then they started playing better and I wondered (hoped) that my diagnosis was premature. But, no. The team's not that good. Worse, it's not likely to get better. Old & over paid is not easy to remedy, particularly when so many are under long term contracts.

Here's a question for you. Will Carlos Beltran hit 25 homers? Ever again? If not, is his fairly decent defense enough compensation to keep him in center? And, shouldn't he be batting second?

Anyway, three with the struggling, but young, Arizona Diamondbacks. The Mets could use a sweep. When was their last three game sweep. I could look it up, but I don't think it was this year. Was it?