Friday, May 16, 2008

Baseball can be fun

You know, when I'm not listening to the Mets I can find baseball enjoyable. I don't grumble, wince, sweat and curse to myself. Today I'm listening to last night's Colorado vs. Arizona game from Chase Field.

During the 4th inning, the Rockies' announcers brought up a funny story about former Rockie Josh Fogg, now on the Reds, and Ken Griffey Jr. Apparently the two had a bet and Griffey lost. $1500. Yesterday Griffey paid up.

When pitcher Josh Fogg approached his locker Wednesday afternoon, he found it nearly walled off with blocks of pennies. To be exact: 60 boxes of pennies in $25 increments.

Griffey was the culprit.

Fogg said the "reason is probably not to be discussed in the media," but the scuttlebutt was that it was from a bet.

"I didn't think he could do it," Fogg said. "I told him he couldn't get it done."

Griffey was tickled to see Fogg's reaction to the gag. He said each box weighed 16 pounds.

"Basically he has 60 bowling balls in his locker," Griffey said.

Griffey wanted the pennies to arrive in money bags but said he felt bad someone at a bank would have to count the bags upon their return.

Fogg has in his possession 150,000 pennies, or $1,500.

"I think I'll take them out to the (bull)pen with me and count them. I've got a lot of time out there," Fogg said.

The Rockies' announcers said that "knowing Fogg, there'll be some form of retribution". See what I mean? Fun.