Saturday, May 3, 2008

Maybe the new stadium should be called Chase Field?

Busy, busy, busy today. Took me a good few hours to find the time I needed to listen to all of last night's game. Again, the beauty of being in Ireland is that I don't hear the result from last night on the local news nor is it in the local paper.

What is it about Chase Field in Phoenix? Wayne apparently asked a number of the Mets before on Thursday and they talked about the good back-drop for hitting, etc. Wayne however was much more perceptive. He said that playing in Phoenix is almost like being on vacation. It's so relaxed there. He thought the Mets just relaxed and played ball. They just relaxed, which is why they play well there.

There might be something to it. I don't know that the team Omar has built is actually a New York team. I'm not sure that as a team they're a big city, lots of media attention team.

A theory of my own is the weather. I don't think the Mets like cool or cold weather. I think the warmer it is the better they like it. I'd love to see a chart comparing winning percentage with game time temperature.

Whatever the reason - and maybe it was simply having Alou back - the Mets played a top game last night. Best of the year? Possibly. Certainly it was Reyes's best game in a long time.