Friday, May 30, 2008

Ho hum - another win

What the heck is going on? Timely hitting? Taking advantage of the other team's errors? Strong relief pitching? Smart managing? These are not the Mets I've been acquainted with for the first two months of the season.

The Mets scored 8 two out runs. EIGHT!

Carlos Muniz's strike-out of Kemp in the 6th was HUGE. After that the result wasn't in doubt.

I loved Willie's decision to let Schoenweiss hit for himself in the 7th. I was keen on Schoenweiss facing the first two lefties in the 8th. Once the Mets had extended the lead to 4 again, getting two outs in the 8th was the biggest issue. And, Schoenweiss did the job. Again. What a difference this year. I fully believe he was hurt all last year. I was skeptical when I first heard that. I only wish he'd have owned up during the season because he didn't help the team last year. He's been tremendous this year.

"More than half the story is that he left his feet", according to Howie after Delgado's diving stop on a shot by Ethier in the 4th. It was amusing how both Howie and Wayne noted that Delgado was busy cleaning himself up, almost as if he really hated getting dirty. Later he dived again in an attempt to get Martin on a line drive DP. Got a couple of hits too. Signs of life in Carlos. Here's hoping.

*****

I love the fact the three of the runs scored on Penny in the 4th after the catcher's interference were earned. I can't even remember why, but I just don't like Penny.