Monday, May 5, 2008

Mets miss memo

I was listening to Saturday's game when I had to go out on all sorts of errands (Sat. night, family out and about and I'm the chauffeur). Anyway, it was 5-4 when I had to go and figured I'd listen to the rest later on delay. However, I caught sight of the final score on the Phillies - Giants game that night and that saved me tuning in the rest of the Mets' game. I liked how Wayne & Howie kept mentioning how much Webb struggled with his control the first couple of years in the league and how he should/could be a model for Pelfrey. Would be great to imagine something like that is possible.

Now to yesterday's game.

It was supposed to be a day for the home teams in the NL, but the Mets didn't get that message. They were the only team to win on the road yesterday.

I missed the first few innings as I was listening to the Rangers (R.I.P.). I was following the Mets on Gameday and when I saw that the Mets had the 2-0 lead with Santana on the mound I figured he'd go 8 and Wagner would finish it off. I wasn't paying enough attention to realize that he was struggling with his control. I tuned in during the 5th and the score was 2-1. Sounded like Haren was in control while Santana was fighting himself.

Santana only managed 6 innings and I really am not sympathetic to him that the bullpen gave up a run over the last 3 innings and he didn't get the win. If your bullpen goes 3 and gives up only 1 run, that's a good night.

Chip Caray is awful. I listened to the game live, but watched it on delay this morning. I cannot stand him. He's more insufferable than Joe Buck - and that's saying something.

It's also funny how anyone who follows a team closely has a different view than someone who only sees a team occasionally. Any Met fan was thrilled when Arizona walked Castillo in the 9th to face Anderson with the bases loaded. Howie was surprised, but neither Caray nor Kaat mentioned it on TBS.