Thursday, May 8, 2008

When John Maine is plating runners ...

Okay, I was right. I cannot stand listening to Vin Scully.

Yesterday we got the Mets live on t.v., but had to endure the Los Angeles broadcast. That meant Vin Scully.

I really can't figure out why people like him so much. All that folksy wisdom. All those baseball clichés. All those useless, ridiculous stats and nonsensical, roundabout ways to impart fairly straight-forward bits of information. And, he NEVER SHUTS UP. NEVER. Just can't stand a moment of silence. And, he works alone.

I know he's 95 or whatever, but he was just the same back in the mid 70s.

Anyway, to the game.

It was nice to be on the other side of one of those games for a change, no? How long has it been? Opening Day?

I'm not going to get all excited about Marlon Anderson playing first every day, but he gets to a lot more balls than Delgado does, doesn't he? Still, today's not the day for complaining. The one negative thought that kept running through my head is 'if only one of those two out hits had come last night'. Great job all around.