Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Chicago 7 - Houston 2

Decided to go with Chicago vs Houston simply because Ted Lilly (my fantasy team) is pitching for Chicago. Boy are Chicago's announcers DULL. I take back anything I might have said about Eddie Coleman. Ron Santo refers to the Cubs as "we", which gets on my nerves. Maybe it was the type of game that was being played, but Pat Hughes had me dozing often. And Hughes has a very annoying habit of asking Ron to "have a look at this" while they look at replays we can't see.

I have to admit I laughed when Santo started yelling at some guy who unfurled a big sign blocking his view.

Hughes did get excited when Cubs' catcher Geovany Soto hit an inside-the-park home-run. That was the big blow for the Cubs. Lilly was solid, but not dominant. He got the win and allowed 2 ER in 5 1/3. He did a great job on Berkman. Lieber and Marmol were strong in relief.

In the bottom of the 4th Jim Edmonds made a "circus catch" on the hill in center field. (You can see it here. It's good, but not as good as the one Beltran made, was that last year?) This was just after he had had trouble running the bases after he fouled a ball off his foot. I thought he was finished when San Diego let him go, but if he can provide a half way decent bat, his defense and leadership in CF for the Cubs will be huge.

The Cubs have only 9 home games in September.

I liked the 8th inning discussion on ballplayers' autographs. Santo can't understand why today's players have illegible autographs. When he was playing "we wanted everybody to know who we were".