Wednesday, May 28, 2008

It's not because they're "Latin" players

When I was a kid the stereotype was that Latin players were hot-headed. Today I hear/read about how the Mets' Latin players don't care.

I don't think anyone ever accused Juan Marichal of not caring about winning. His best years were just before I started watching baseball, but my memory of Marichal was that he was a killer on the mound, the kind of guy who could explode at any moment. (And I've seen and read about what happened with Johnny Roseboro.)

Mets' fans are frustrated with a number of players right now, mostly with Delgado and Castillo, but also with Reyes and Beltran. I'll start with Beltran. He does seem to be a pretty low key guy, but he's an excellent ballplayer. He's had a few misplays in CF the past week, which I attribute to him trying too hard. Trying to do too much. Also, he's not quite as good as he played in 2006, which put expectations too high.

Reyes seems to just lose his focus at times. Last night he had his third straight game with at least one error. He's in a fielding slump, which shouldn't kill the club if the pitchers can pick him up. Santana did last night, but Maine & Pelfrey were unable to in the previous starts.

Castillo was a bad signing, although I realize that Omar's hands were tied, a little, by what was available to him for 2B coming into this season. Still 4 years is a loooong time for a guy with bad knees. I don't see enough of the Mets to judge whether he's always putting out 100%, but from what I hear from Howie and see in clips there are times when he seems to mail it in when he hits a ground ball. Still, I suspect Met fans are mostly frustrated by the fact that they'll have to watch him decline for another 3.5+ seasons.

I don't know whether Delgado cares or not, but it seems pretty clear that he's only a shadow of the player he used to be. It happens. Players get old. It's hard for him to accept and deal with. However, that's what Willie is paid to do. Deal with the players he has. Omar provided the team and Willie has to make best use of it. If that includes platooning Delgado, that's life.

His bat and his glove are killing the Mets. Unfortunately, they don't have a lot of options so a platoon is probably the best we can hope for. For now.