Friday, April 25, 2008

Changes needed

Even good teams go through rough streaks such as the Mets are going through now. And, it's not that long a rough streak. This is a minor blip. If the Mets are a good team.

That's really the question. Are the Mets a good team? I'm not so sure. I don't think they're as good as Arizona. I don't think they're as good as Atlanta either. I don't think they're as good as Chicago or Philadelphia (with Rollins). Now I don't think they're too far off those teams, but I do think they're below them.

How does a guy like Casanova not run hard after hitting the ball? Who is he that he's admiring his drive rather than running? I can accept that Schneider and Castro are hurt, but can't the Mets get a guy who'll at least be a smart, hustling ball player to fill in for them? This is a character issue and I don't think Omar understands what good character means, how important it is. The Mets have many players who seem to think the world owes them something, even guys like Casanova who are nobodies in the baseball world.

And Oliver Perez? He can be electric when he's right, but he's not so young that we can expect he'll suddenly become mentally stronger. He seems to implode so regularly. Is this Rick Peterson's fault or is it Omar's because he just cannot evaluate players' mental make-up.

The Mets need changes and need them now. A new manager? A trade? I'm not sure and I don't actually have sufficient trust that Omar will make the right move anyway. I think this team has too many re-treads, too many has-beens and too little spark. Omar is in love with the reclamation project, but I don't think it's helping the Mets at all.

Changes are needed. I just don't think they're going to happen.