Monday, April 21, 2008

Good, but not great weekend in Philadelphia

Okay, a loss is always disappointing. I know some will be happy with the 2 out of 3 in Philadelphia, but this was a Phillies team that is really short of weapons - offensive and defensive - with neither Rollins nor Victorino. And, the next two in Chicago don't offer any sort of a rest.

On the other hand the Mets didn't just roll over when they got down 4-0. Pelfrey didn't have his best stuff which can happen, but he has to rebound from this tough start. They put themselves in a position to win the game with their 6th inning rally and then against Lidge in the 9th.

Hard to be mad at Wright after the weekend he had, but I really wanted that hit in the 9th. And then to have Beltran 'robbed' by Bruntlett, who I guess redeemed himself somewhat after all the errors he made at Shea. I was just really keen that the Mets do something against Lidge because I think he's fragile and the Mets could get in his head with a few runs against him.

I don't know how other people feel about these things, but the fact that Utley's on my fantasy baseball team does not mean I root for him to do well against the Mets (or any team, really).

I've mentioned before that Wayne Hagin still talks about the Mets as if they're the 'visiting team' (not the team he normally broadcasts for). This can cause a few shrugs, like when Wayne talks about some aspect of the Mets' game that every fan knows well ("Beltran is a very dangerous hitter".).

However, in the 6th inning it was interesting listening to him talk about the speed of the Mets. You just knew that what he was saying is how he (& others) describe the Mets to their listeners in other cities.