Thursday, April 10, 2008

Errors and walks and wild pitches, Oh My

I don't know if the Mets needed to win last night's game, but I needed them to win. And it doesn't matter to me that the Phillies basically handed the game to the Mets with their poor pitching and inept defense. A win is a win and an 8-2 win was what was needed.

Wow, do the Phillies miss Rollins in the line-up, if only for his defense. Bruntlett doesn't have his range - didn't get the ball off Easley's bat in the 3rd and then he bobbled the grounder by Reyes and saw Wright's ground ball go under his glove (Hagin).

Pelfrey did a good job of getting that first pitch over, which he's often struggeld with. And I liked how he got out of the jam in the 2nd with only one run scored. I wish he had been able to go more than 5 innings.

Howie was as frustrated as I was in the 2nd asking, "Where's the big hit"? After another walk by Kendrick Howie said, "Beltran's gotta be looking dead red here". You could almost feel his frustration when Beltran took strike 1 and then grounded out to 2nd after looking at two strikes and two balls.

Still, all was more relaxed after the 6 run 3rd inning.

How many times over this year and future years will I hear Howie's (or Wayne') voice rise in excitement only to hear him deflatedly finish with "Victorino makes the catch". Uggh. It's wearing me out.

Wayne made me chuckle for the first time discussing possible interference by Pelfrey after his 3rd inning bunt: "The guy moves in sections; he is 6'7". I also think he (Hagin) is starting feel like the Mets' announcer. He seems more comfortable.

There were a couple of good light moments during the game. First Howie told the story of Kendrick's 'trade to Japan'. Apparently, the whole Phillie organization was in on this ruse that had Kendrick traded to a Japanese club.

Later when the game started to drag, there was some good chatter between Hagin & Rose about Wayne's ten years in Colorado and how long the games used to be there. Howie said Wayne deserved a medal for his time served there. Howie also recalled Bob Murphy, who always seemed to be in a good mood, after one long game angrily saying "I don't know what the heck you call that, but it sure wasn't baseball".

Rangers win and Mets win. A good night.