Thursday, April 17, 2008

Finally some long balls

Sure it was Matt Chico and the Nationals, but still it was great to get that offensive explosion. Have we seen (okay, heard) that yet this year? Maybe that big win over Florida in the first week, but I can't remember the feeling of turning around a game like we got last night.

It's also nice that some balls off the Mets' bats left the park. Being tied with San Diego for last in homers was not what I had in mind for this year's Mets.

Maine was struggling with command tonight, but he managed to get through 6 2/3 with only 2ER against (thanks to Joe Smith too). I doubt he'd have survived against a better hitting team, but you take your good fortune and work on being better next time.

And, since I mentioned Smith, what a great job. I didn't see it, but at the time I was wondering if there was any intent in that pitch that caught Milledge. Then he comes back to get the DP.

At one point Howie said, "Everybody who's broadcast baseball has been influenced by the 'great Vin Scully'". I know, I know. I'm the only one. This was in reference to the fact that Wayne sometimes refers to "sacrifice flies" as "scoring fly-balls" as Scully does.

I listened to the New Jersey vs New York playoff game first. Exciting game, great Ranger win. And, I've never seen a guy score a goal in his own net off a face-off as Madden did late in the game with Brodeur pulled for the extra skater.