Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Rockies 2 - Braves 1

Decided to go with the Rockies' broadcast rather than the Braves'. No good reason other than I wanted to hear what they had to say about Aaron Cook (my fantasy team). Thanks to that decision I learned that in in Colorado the starting pitcher decides what uniform the team wears. Cook likes the black top. I haven't heard anything like that about any team and its uniforms before.

I haven't mentioned it yet, but I hate seeing the Mets in those black tops.

Sheeesh, but the Rockies' announcers could hardly have been more fawning in their discussion of Tom Glavine. Left me feeling kind of queasy. At least they acknowledged that he imploded during the last game of the 2007 season.

Glavine was lights out last night. He left after a very strong 6 1/3. Remember last year's 6 runs in the 3rd at Coors? (Actually, I had to look that one up. That's not the point!) One difference is that it was very cold in Denver yesterday - temperature below 40° at game time. The hitters for both teams were swinging early as if they wanted to get back to the bench quickly.

{I know a lot of Met fans get angry - a lot. For some reason I don't get too angry at the Mets or even Willie too often. Frustrated yes, but not that angry. But Glavine makes me angry. It's unreasonable, but I don't care. I was just fuming as I listened to this game. I was relieved when Holliday went deep in the 8th to take away the W for Glavine. If only it had been early enough to allow Cook - 7 inn, 1R, 2H - to get the win. I guess, you can't have everything.}

Shortest game in Coors Field history - 2'05". Like I said, the hitters seemed to want to get back to the bench in a hurry. It was cold.

Hmm. Ads for Playboy - 'baseball preview issue out now' - during the games on KOA. Different.