Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A win is a win, right?

I was expecting the win despite the extra innings. Generally I expect the worst, but not last night. Not sure why. Maybe it was the opposition, although I don't think I'd have been too comfortable if Sosa had faced McLouth.

You knew neither Wagner's nor Sanchez's run couldn't last forever. The pixie dust that they've both been covered in this season vanished in the 8th & 9th of last night's game. Sanchez didn't have it, but he gutted it out and held the lead. Wagner was done in by an error by Reyes and a wild pitch. These things happen; they're part of the game. Still, it wasn't an awful night for the bullpen and a win is always welcome.

Great that Endy got a few hits last night & scored twice. I'm glad Willie's playing him more lately because we all know that Endy will be needed throughout the season as Alou will not be ever present in the line-up.

Howie's been talking about Castillo's passivity and tonight Wayne mentioned that up until last night's game Castillo had not even swung at a 3-1 pitch. {I can't remember now, but I think he did do so in the 11th.}

Howie said it was about 75-80% positive when Delgado was announced, but the crowd sounded a lot more negative after his third failure in the 8th. Howie also explained how Sunday's homer tied Delgado with Juan Gonzalez for most home-runs by a Puerto Rican.

Ugggh. Wayne's voice and his "Kiss it good-bye" on Church's home run was just, I don't know, a little much for a 2 run homer against Pittsburgh in April.