Sunday, April 6, 2008

Just like 1975

For the first time since I first subscribed to MLB.com audio, I feel like I did as a kid. Nothing like having the ace pitch a great game and lose because he gave up one run. And that run scored on a ball that might have been caught (according to Howie). When I was a little kid the Mets lost these sorts of games all the time. (The 2-run HR in the 8th off the reliever was also part of the plot in the old days.)

Okay, not a great week. Not a disaster either (despite what you might read in the comments at Metsblog). If the Mets had a tough week, Philadelphia had a worse one. They were roughed up again today, they play in Cincinnati again tomorrow and then travel to New York to play at Shea on Tuesday. I hope the Reds keep pounding the Phillies' pitching.

Wayne Hagin. I'm trying not to jump to an early conclusion. And, my complaint today is probably almost too petty, but ...

When Delgado got doubled off on the line drive (by Church?) Hagin was almost giddy about Kotsay's play. Still kind of grating on me. I can't put my finger on it and I'm not looking for a 'homer' in the booth, but a little less glee would be nice.