Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I need an off day

I turned off the game yesterday. I almost never do that, but I was so frustrated that I just turned it off. It was 4-1 at the time and I knew nothing good could come of my continuing to listen.

{It wasn't only the Mets that had me frustrated. I was trying to fix/revive my daughter's new MP3 player at the same time and that was really annoying me. I just had to get away from the computer.}

Howie is a fan as well as an excellent announcer and that's why we (all Met fans, I presume) like him. You can feel his frustration with Delgado. "0 & 2 again. Seems like every at bat Delgado is behind 0 & 2". "Most firstbasemen get to that ball".

Wayne's not as comfortable with such honesty as he seems to believe that the Delgado of 2005 is going to reappear. Howie, like all us more pessimistic fans, has no such hope. We 'know' Delgado is toast. Yet, even Wayne admitted that "Delgado's gotta cover first on that play" on that play where he seemed to just freeze (never got a clear picture of what exactly happened there).

If not for the bad defense (Pagan as well as Delgado) Figeuroa might well have had win, although where I think the runs would have come from is anyone's guess. Regardless, Fegueroa pitched well. He gave up a few runs, but I'm getting more comfortable with him on the mound. I wonder if he'll stick around in the bullpen when one of the missing starters returns (probably only for a short while).